Hemorrhoids also commonly known as piles is a medical condition caused due to the swelling of the veins in the lower part of rectum and around the anus.
This swelling causes discomfort when you sit down or while using the toilet. Though hemorrhoids are not life threatening, the itchiness, discomfort and bleeding caused are really annoying.
Hemorrhoids are a very common problem faced by most of the Americans specifically at age between 45 to 65 years. Both men and women are prone to hemorrhoids with advancing age. Besides this, pregnancy and women who have had children are prone to this medical condition.
Causes of Piles
The foremost cause of Hemorrhoids is constipation especially excessive straining during bowel movement. Excess straining raises abdominal pressure resulting in swelling of the blood vessels around the rectum.
The other causes include:
* Less intake of fibrous food
* Prolonged sitting in the toilet with excess straining
* Pelvic Tumors
* Constant Coughing
* Excessive Sneezing
* Carrying objects which are heavy and
* Genetic disposition.Symptoms
There are two types of Hemorrhoids namely Internal Hemorrhoids and External Hemorrhoids.
* Internal HemorrhoidsThese are not visible as they are placed in the higher part of the anal area. Bleeding is the most common symptom of this type of Hemorrhoids. If the internal hemorrhoids are pushed out of the anus during straining due to bowel movement, it is called as prolapsed hemorrhoids. This condition is very painful and also it is difficult to push back it inside the rectal area.
* External HemorrhoidsExternal Hemorrhoids are visible as this happens outside the anal area. The veins present in the soft tissues are enlarged and are covered by skin. This type is normally without any symptoms and appears blue in color. However, when it is inflamed, bleeding and blood clots takes place inside the external hemorrhoids and these can become very tender due to inflammation and appear red in color.
* Avoid using dry toilet papers; instead use medicated wipes which will be soothing.
* To reduce the pain, use ice packs around the anal area
* Aloe Vera gel is a very good home remedy for hemorrhoids it can be directly applied in and around the anus to reduce pain and burning sensation.
* The swollen veins shrink by applying Witch hazel using sterile cotton.Do’s
* Getting rid of constipation is the first prevention from Hemorrhoids.
* Include lots of fiber in your diet such as raw or cooked vegetables and leafy vegetables, and fresh fruits. Avoid taking white breads; instead prefer whole grain bread, cereal, and beans which are rich source of fiber.
* The fiber content inclusion in your diet should happen gradually, sudden intake of excess fibre can cause stomach pain or diarrhea.
* It is better to take frequent small meals
* Drink lot of fluids; minimum two litres of fluids would keep your body well hydrated and would help to maintain good circulation of blood. This would keep stools moist and it will be easier for you to throw them out.Don’ ts
* Avoid sitting in toilets for long hours and avoid excessive straining.
* Laxative may be helpful for easier bowel movement, however, if taken for longer period, the bowel will lose its ability to function normally as it gets addicted to the laxative.
* Cleaning the anal area with soft and moist toilet paper will get rid of itching and swelling.Food items and lifestyle
* Certainly, the result of unhealthy eating habits contribute largely to Hemorrhoids. Hemorrhoids are not dangerous but still a very disturbing medical condition. Taking healthy foods and adapting to productive lifestyle will definitely help to get rid of hemorrhoids
* Avoid fast foods; instead depend on high fibrous food items.
* Regular exercise is another way to enhance bowel movements. This will make sure that nothing in stacked in your digestive track.
* Drink two litres of water per day to keep the feces soft.Herbal Supplement for Piles: Pirrhoid